- Enjoy, Shop, Dine & Stay
- Downtown Information
- Downtown Happenings
- About Main Street
- Supporters & Friends
06/02/2013 - 06/08/2013
Subscribe to our Blog
Add our RSS feed to your feed reader or browser feed!
Sign & Facade Program
Need a new sign? Let Main Street help.
Interested in fixing up the front of your property or business? Main Street facade and sign Incentive program is getting results! Over the past few years, more than 20 new facades and more than 42 new signs have been designed and decorated for downtown commercial buildings. The creativity is truly astounding. Many of the old back-lit box signs, appropriate for the highway but not a pedestrian-friendly seaside town, have come down! Many storefronts have undergone beautiful face-lifts.
Signs Requirements & Guidelines
There are matching $500 grants for new front-lit signs. It's first-come first-served, so call 227-2772 if you are interested!
Our broad guidelines are designed to promote creativity and individuality. In general, Main Street encourages front lit signage. It is Main Street's goal to see all the back-lit box signs downtown replaced with creative front-lit signage. But this is a totally voluntary program, designed to help you afford attractive and appealing new signs.
- A sign plan meeting Main Street’s broad sign guidelines (see below)
- A city sign permit and compliance with the Rehoboth Beach municipal sign ordinance.
- Current Rehoboth Beach Main Street Business Membership. Not a member now? Just join up when you apply for the grant!
- Signs consisting of carved or raised letters, or painted signs with at least one raised element or a frame around it are eligible if they are lit from front or above.
- Individually lettered back-lit signs (example: neon) may be approved as long as each letter is individually lit.
- Signs on awnings may be included in the grant program if they are lit from above or front. Awnings may have interior lights shining on doors and street if the awning is opaque and light does not shine through it.
- Businesses receiving sign grants must promise to remain a Main Street member and renew their annual membership at least until such time that the grant amount has been matched in dues. This is a grant and there is no requirement to pay it back, just continued Main Street membership - we think that's only fair. And besides, businesses will want to keep up the membership for all the benefits they get - you get back MORE than you pay for each year with Main Street.
Facades Requirements & Guidelines
Main Street has up to $1000 Matching Grants available for facade enhancements such as: new shutters, light fixtures, added molding, cornices, porches, banisters, roof peaks and more.
- A drawing or your design showing that it meets Main Streets broad design guidelines. Main Street staff or committee members will be happy to work with you on an appropriate plan. Just call and we'll make suggestions and help you come up with a great new look or building facelift.
- Compliance with the City of Rehoboth Beach municipal building ordinance.
- Current Rehoboth Beach Main Street Membership as a regular member. Not a member now? Just join up when you apply for the grant!
- The promise to remain a Main Street member at least until such time that the grant amount has been matched in dues. (see number 4 above!)
Our broad guidelines are designed to promote creativity and individuality plus bring back the charm of downtown Rehoboth Beach. Design Committee members, Main Street staff and occasionally, participating architects from Delaware Main Street, can help you decide what is needed to refresh a storefront or other building. Please remember that Main Street architectural grants are first-come, first-served depending on the amount of money in our Design Incentive Fund. Call us at 227-2772 for details or to apply.